Your retainers are holding your teeth in place while the bone re-forms around the roots. The bone is not as dense as it normally is because we have been moving your teeth. It is very important for you to wear your retainers full time while your teeth are stabilizing.
SCHEDULE FOR RETAINER WEAR
For the first 3 months wear upper retainer full time.
Thereafter wear nightly to maintain proper alignment.
The lower retainer is permanant.
Studies show that the factors causing an improper bite persist throughout your life. The retainers will maintain proper tooth alignment and you should experience little change if you follow this schedule.
If at any time the retainers feel tight after they have been out of your mouth for a period of time, increase the wearing time.
CARE OF RETAINERS
1. Your retainer is plastic so treat it carefully. Do not leave your retainer in the sun or near anything hot. Do not wash it in hot water as it may melt or warp.
2. Brush your retainer twice a day with your toothbrush and a mild dishwashing liquid and COLD water. DO NOT use toothpaste for it is too abrasive for the retainers.
3. Once a week, soak your retainer in cold water and one tablespoon of baking soda, or Efferdent. This will help eliminate odor.
4. Keep your retainer in your mouth or in your retainer case. Do not wrap it in a napkin, put it in your pocket, or leave it anywhere that your pets can get it.
5. If at anytime your retainer is broken, lost or does not fit, please call our office as soon as possible for an appointment.
*THERE IS A CHARGE FOR ALL REPLACEMENT RETAINERS*